Statewide VPSO Program Recruitment and Training Officer (RTO)
Job Class: Coordinator
Class Status: Active
Department: Public Safety
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Anchorage, Alaska
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): State VPSO Pay Schedule
Prepared by: Jason Wilson
Hours of Work: Flexible Schedule
Employment Category: Regular Full-Time
The Recruitment and Training Coordinator (RTO) promotes the VPSO program and works to find and refer eligible candidates for all 10 VPSO Grantors. The RTO also acts as a Training, Assistance, and Counseling (TAC) officer when needed. The RTO may also be asked to assist with background investigations as well as be available to rove into other communities for additional officer support when the situation calls for.
Duty Station: Primary Office: VPSO Alaska State Trooper Recruitment office in Anchorage, Temporary Duty Assignment as needed.
Reports To: Public Safety Manager
• Work closely with the 10 regional coordinators, assisting them with recruitment and referral needs.
• Travel to colleges, career fairs and other venues to promote the VPSO program with the goal of soliciting new recruits for all regions.
• Answer questions from interested parties relating to the VPSO program, VPSO communities and vacant positions in all 10 regions.
• Be knowledgeable about current job descriptions and vacancies in all 10 Regions.
• Collect all VPSO agencies new hire packets and contact information.
• Collect data sheets on vacant communities for the 10 regions.
• Develop recruitment strategies.
• Willing to travel
Training, Assistance, and Counselor
• Alaska Law Enforcement Training
• Fire & Safety
• Village Police Officer
• Emergency Trauma Technician
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: N/A
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Certified VPSO
• Certified CPR\First Aid
• Pass annual Physical Fitness Test at 35th percentile
• Excellent public speaking skills
• No unacceptable performances evaluations 2 years prior to application date
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Current VPSO in good standing
• Last three evaluations where Acceptable or above
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Methods Of Instruction Training or equivalent
• Public Speaking and or Teaching experience
• Documentation of Mentoring / helping others
• Ability to coordinate / work with multiple agencies
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
Heavy physical effort (lift/carry up to 50 lbs.)
Occasional reaching, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, turning, twisting
Occasional standing and walking
Prolonged sitting, sedentary work to complete office work
Repetitive tasks include the prolonged use of computer screen/keyboard
Vision requirements (with or without corrected vision) near acuity – able to see clearly at 20 inches or less; depth perception – able to see clearly at 20 inches or less; color vision – able to distinguish and identify different colors
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees must pass an initial and random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida has several positions which require a criminal background check for the safety of our clients. All employment offers in the “covered” classification are conditional until Tlingit & Haida has received a Federal criminal background check verifying eligibility to work in these programs.