Human Resources Benefits Coordinator
Job Class: Coordinator
Department: Human Resources (HR)
Location of Work: Juneau, AK
Salary Grade(s): G-10/12
Hours of Work: M-F, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Employment Category: Regular, Full-Time
The HR Coordinator will provide coordination of the Human Resources Department’s benefits workflow, maintenance, and oversight of document retention, and assure compliance to all applicable laws and policies. Incumbent will oversee benefit coordination and communication. Incumbent will be responsible for keeping all departments current on changes in benefits and ensure compliance with all applicable Federal, State, and Tribal requirements.
Reports To: HR Senior Director
Supervises: Up to two full-time employees
Liaison To: Other departments
- Oversee the day-to-day operation of the HR department processing of benefits
- Assist supervisors regarding questions about policy enforcement and benefit resources
- Draft/maintain benefit descriptions in compliance with vendors
- Coordinate and oversee annual benefits fair for all employees in all locations of T&H.
- Create content for training for managers and all employees on workers compensation, unemployment, family medical leave.
- Update benefit content and material for HR onboarding
- Oversee Employee Assistance and Wellness Programs
- Aid employees with questions regarding benefit policies, procedures, and assistance programs
- Coordinate with Office of the President for all-staff meeting content
- Assist in the maintenance of the HRIS benefits and oversee HR benefit file audits
- Assist in the updating of the Personnel Manual with current benefit information
- Process and maintain all Worker Compensation documents with staff and outside agencies
- Process and maintain all Family Medical Leave documents with staff and Payroll Department
- Process and maintain all unemployment documents and communications with staff and outside agencies
- Coordinate special projects as requested by the Senior HR Director
- Other duties as assigned
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: N/A
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of principles and theories of HR operations
- Ability to provide training and information in small and large group settings
- Able to work independently
- Knowledge of Tribal HR practices
- Able to set deadlines and follow projects, and direct staff, through to completion
- Able to interpret policies and provide guidance to their applicability
- In-depth knowledge of Tribe’s policies and procedures
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to mediate tense situations
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
- Associate degree with business focus
- 4 years’ experience working with all facets of a benefits program
SUBSTITUTION FOR ASSOCIATE DEGREE
- High School Diploma with 6 years of experience working with all facets of a benefit program
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources
- 2-year experience working with all facets of a benefits program
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
Most of the work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
- All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position.
- Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees may be required to pass a pre-employment and subsequent random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
- Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check be conducted on all employees. All employment offers are conditional until federal criminal background check results verify your eligibility to work for Tlingit & Haida.