Job Class: Casual Class Status: Active
Department: CCTHITA - Head Start Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Varies Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 3 Prepared by: Bill Abbott
Hours of Work: Varies Approved by:
Employment Category: Casual Effective Date:
Assists the Lead Teacher in all facets of center activities when full-time staff are unable to report to work, carrying out lesson plans, incorporating component plans, and leading large and small groups of children.
Reports To: Lead Teacher.
Leads: May lead volunteers when present in the classroom.
Liaison To: None.
• Assist the Lead Teacher in all areas of the classroom to maintain a safe, and cheerful environment.
• Develop and maintain a positive relationship with the children, their families, staff, and volunteers.
• May attend staff meetings, as requested.
• Will manage small groups of children; will evaluate activities regarding appropriateness and effectiveness and interest of the children.
• Assist in preparation of materials as needed to carry out the weekly lesson plans.
• Will eat and interact with children at meal times, serving as an appropriate model to the children.
• May attend parent committee meetings as requested (may include evening and weekend meetings).
• Will safeguard privacy of records and confidential information.
• Assist the Lead Teacher in making smooth transitions for children.
• May assist in recruiting and enrolling eligible children and collecting all needed records.
• Assists with janitorial duties (e.g., cleaning bathrooms, sweeping, mopping or vacuuming floors, cleaning toys, equipment, washing windows, emptying trash, light maintenance, and yard work).
• Regularly communicates with staff to determine janitorial priorities.
• Assist in keeping the building and playground area in safe condition and good repair at all times, and observe all fire and sanitation code requirements.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: None.
Other Authority: None.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Knowledge of applicable state and federal laws and requirements.
• Ability to work effectively with executives, managers, supervisors, employees, and employee representatives.
• Knowledge of program rules and requirements.
• Ability to maintain accurate, complete, and confidential records.
• Familiarity with word processing, spreadsheets, and database software.
• Proficiency in computerized record keeping and reporting.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Project management and conflict resolution skills.
• Familiarity with Alaska Native cultures, particularly Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
Must be at least 18 years of age.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
High school diploma or equivalent, some experience working with young children in a group setting, and possess a current 1st Aid/CPR certificate.
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The work is generally active, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items and/or children weighing up to 60 lbs. The majority of work is performed in a pre-school setting with a wide variety of children & people with differing functions, personalities, and abilities. The office is a non-smoking facility with outside smoking areas.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE
• All employment at CCTHITA is “at will.” This means that the employee or CCTHITA may terminate employment at any time and for any reason, with approval from the Head Start Policy Council per Performance Standard 1304.50(d)(1)(xi). Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position.
• CCTHITA is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees must pass an initial and random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• CCTHITA has several positions which require a criminal background check for the safety of our clients. All employment offers in the “covered” classification are conditional until CCTHITA has received a Federal criminal background check verifying eligibility to work in these programs.
• If not a current 1st Aide/CPR holder, employee must obtain within 90 days of hire.
• Annual TB screens and bi-annual physicals.