Job Class: Specialist
Class Status: Active
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau, AK
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 8-9
Prepared by: J. Garrison/J. Wise
Hours of Work: M-F 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Employment Category: Regular Full–Time
The Communications Specialist provides support to the department in expanding the Tribe’s communications materials and social media presence utilizing a multitude of social media platforms and by designing and developing print material and audio/video productions. Works under the direct supervision of the Communications Coordinator.
Reports To: Communications Coordinator
Liaison To: Tlingit & Haida Administration
• Assists in managing and expanding the Tribe’s social media presence.
• Assists in producing web-based multi-media projects (i.e. podcasts, videos, etc.).
• Assists in the design and editing of publications and other communications materials.
• Drafts PSA’s, press releases and content for publications, website and social media platforms.
• Assists in coordinating news conferences and other media events.
• Assists in organizing and prioritizing projects.
• Collaborates with administrative staff regarding media activities when required.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Must have strong writing skills and be able to communicate effectively
• Experience in conceptualizing project ideas and translating into camera-ready copy using Adobe software (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
• Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize, multitask, manage complex workload and handle pressure with strong follow-through and attention to detail
• Proficient in marketing using social media tools (i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat)
• Ability to work effectively with managers, employees, tribal leaders and tribal citizens
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software
• Strong working knowledge of communications principles and practices.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• High level of editorial skills
• Demonstrated skill in project management
• Working experience with the Adobe Design Suite
• Capable of maintaining confidentiality, with a high degree of accuracy regarding information collection and recording
• Proven knowledge and capability with online communications and social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and website content management systems
• Familiarity with Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian cultures
• Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Associate degree in Communications, Marketing, Graphic Design or Public Relations,
• Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel)
o Four year’s communication/marketing experience may be substituted for Associates Degree
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Bachelor Associate degree in Communications, Marketing, Graphic Design or Public Relations or minimum of six (6) years communication/marketing experience
• Proven social networking experience and social analytics tools knowledge
• Proficient in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
• Experience with web content management tools, like Adobe Contribute
• Experience in video and photography production
• Experience in podcasting
• Experience in copywriting and editing
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position.
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees may be required to pass a pre-employment and subsequent random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check be conducted on all employees. All employment offers are conditional until federal criminal background check results verify your eligibility to work for Tlingit & Haida.
Your application was submitted successfully.