Job Class: Paralegal
Department: General Council/OTP
Type of Position: Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau, AK
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 10/11
Prepared by: M. Sobeleff-Levy/J. Wise
Hours of Work: M-F, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Employment Category: Regular, Full-Time
Effective Date: 11/01/2020
The Paralegal will be responsible for providing administrative support to the General Counsel.
Reports To: General Counsel
Liaison To: N/A
• Track and manage General Counsel projects and requests for legal assistance
• Draft documents, pleadings, and correspondence
• Proofread and format documents
• Perform legal and factual research
• Provide litigation support for attorneys
• Take minutes, review resolutions and other
• Provide administrative support to the General Counsel, including scheduling, coordinating and providing logistical support for meetings and events, monitor and maintain office supplies, photocopying, scanning and assembling materials.
• Maintain files, electronic and hard copy, in accordance with applicable procedures
• Arrange travel
• Assist the General Counsel with budgets, by preparing, monitoring, and recommending changes to budgets
• Process General Counsel finances, including process purchase orders, preparing check requests and preparing and submitting credit card reports
• Consistently evaluate internal administrative processes for improvement
• Other duties as assigned
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: TBD
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
• Excellent document management skills
• Strong organization and time management skills
• Strong grammar and proofreading skills
• Must have strong accuracy skills with attention to detail
• Patience and tact in dealing with people under stress and/or from different cultures
• Demonstrated ability to work under pressure
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and prioritize workload
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality
• Familiarity with Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian cultures
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Associate degree in Paralegal studies
• Four years related experience
• Valid driver’s license
Substitution for Degree:
• High school diploma and eight years related experience
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position.
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees may be required to pass a pre-employment and subsequent random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check be conducted on all employees. All employment offers are conditional until federal criminal background check results verify your eligibility to work for Tlingit & Haida.
Your application was submitted successfully.