ORGANIZED VILLAGE OF SAXMAN
Position Title: Tribal Administrator
Type of Position: Full Time - Permanent
Supervisory Position: Yes ( xx ) No ( )
Reports To: Saxman l.R.A. Council
The Tribal Administrator will perform and supervise the administrative work, including day to day management of the Saxman LR.A. Council. The position includes responsibility for planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing the operational activities assigned by the Saxman LR.A. Council. Represents the Saxman LR.A. Council in communications with other agencies at meetings and conferences as directed by the Council.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Implement the policies and directives of the Saxman LR.A. Council to insure overall effectiveness for the management and operation of the Organized Village of Saxman.
2. Confers with tribal programs concerning the development, implementation, and evaluation of program goals and objectives. Informs ands works closely with the Saxman LR.A. Council toward achievement of the goals and objectives of the Organized Village of Saxman.
3. Responsible for the preparation and implementation of approved operating budget(s) in conjunction with Saxman Tribal programs by monitoring expenditures and recommending justifiable changes ensuring accountability of program funding and expenditures.
4. In cooperation with Central Council Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska will assist tribal members in obtaining and understanding the support services and assistance between Central Council and Saxman.
5. Shall supervise employees employed for the Saxman I.RA. Council and delegate work to appropriate personnel with ability to analyze, plan, direct, and coordinate the work of tribal staff.
6. Assist in all areas necessary for research, obtaining technical advice, and to support the Saxman LR.A. Council in writing resolutions and working toward the development of tribal self reliance.
7. Remains knowledgeable about factors influencing public relations and exercises initiative in maintaining effective relations with employees, officials, and the public served by the organization.
8. Shall take lead position in developing contract programs available under P.L. 93-638 and with other contractual opportunities ensuring compatibility with organizational goals, and to assist in negotiation of funding proposals.
9. Responsible for writing and administering grants and contracts to the extent of developing budgets, program evaluation, and reporting.
10. Responsible for preparation, development, implementation, and completion of all aspects of Tribal affairs.
11. Responsible for ensuring the duties of Tribal Employment Rights Ordinance are implemented.
12. Responsible for coordinating all duties for annual local tribal election.
13. Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
Knowledge of issues specific to Indian Reorganization Act Councils and familiar with Southeast Alaska tribal governments, knowledge of management principles and practices, including human and financial resources. Knowledge in the principles and techniques of supervision, organization, administration control, budgets, fiscal control, offices services and management, and grant management. Knowledge of Central Council Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska operations, organization, functions, and relationship with the Organized Village of Saxman, other governments, and non-governments. Ability to read and interpret complex regulations regarding grant procedures. Ability to effectively plan, assign, direct, review, and coordinate grants, the work of subordinate staff, and understand Alaska Native and American Indian life ways. Ability to provide local contact, technical assistance and/or support services between Central Council Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska and the Saxman LR.A. Council. Must have the ability to understand computer programs used in offices, and must have a thorough command of verbal and written communication skills.
Bachelors degree preferred, and/or three years course work and experience in a discipline applicable to the requirements of the position preferred with specific emphasis in tribal government, federal Indian law, program development, and administration, contract management, and grant writing preferred. Must have a high school diploma. Must be familiar with MSWord, MS Excel, MS Outlook and recent software versions preferred, and can and type accurately at 55 wpm.
Qualified Organized Village of Saxman tribal member preference will apply in compliance with the Organized Village of Saxman T.E.R.O. Ordinance #97-07-001, Section 4.
Your application was submitted successfully.