Accounting Technician I
Job Class: Program Technician
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau, AK
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 7
Hours of Work: M-F; 8:00am – 4:30pm
Employment Category: Regular Full-Time
This is an entry level accounting position in which incumbents generally use established procedures to review and assist in reconciling various financial documents and transactions. Performing the work requires understanding of accounting systems, policies and procedures.
Reports To: Controller
• Reviews documents for financial coding, accuracy, and appropriate documentation.
• Determines if documents clearly meet defined requirements.
• Identifies source of discrepancy to determine what is required and obtain corrected data as required.
• Calculates payments based on approved documents.
• Processes accounting documents for payments.
• Records expenditures in correct month.
• Tracks and maintains documents through accounting cycle.
• Interprets and communicates policies and procedures.
• Generates reports.
• Assist with reconciliation of general ledger and prepare adjusting journal entries as requested.
• Assist with the Preparation of periodic and annual documents; and financial data and analysis.
• Other duties as assigned.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: N/A
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Ability to work effectively with executives, managers, supervisors, employees, and employee representatives.
• Some knowledge of bookkeeping practices and accounting procedures, practices, methods, techniques, and terminology.
• Knowledge of OMB A-87, OMB A-102, and Federal Travel Regulations.
• Ability to maintain accurate, complete, and confidential records.
• Working knowledge with word processing, spreadsheets, and automated accounting software.
• Ability to interpret and apply and explain laws, regulations and policies.
• Ability to identify discrepancies or inaccuracies in data and make corrections.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Some knowledge of techniques and methods in reconciling accounts and auditing.
• Excellent computer skills including MS office Suite programs, and Great Plains.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• High School Diploma or GED
• One year of clerical work experience maintaining records that included using computer systems and performing basic arithmetic calculations.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Associate Degree in Accounting.
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
Your application was submitted successfully.