Accounting Technician III
Job Class: Accounting Technician III
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 9 H
ours of Work: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Employment Category: Regular Full-Time
Performs accounting work involving the preparation, reviewing, processing, reconciliation and maintenance of financial documents for the purpose of reporting accounting data in the general ledger. Provides financial analysis as requested by Controller.
Reports To: Controller
Supervises: Accounting Technician I,II
Liaison To: N/A
• Reviews documents for financial coding, accuracy, and appropriate documentation.
• Determines if documents clearly meet defined requirements.
• Identifies source of discrepancy to determine what is required and obtain corrected data as required.
• Calculates payments based on approved documents.
• Processes accounting documents for payments.
• Records expenditures in correct month.
• Tracks and maintains documents through accounting cycle.
• Interprets and communicates policies and procedures.
• Generates reports.
• Reconciles general ledger accounts and prepares adjusting journal entries.
• Prepares periodic and annual documents; and financial data and analysis.
• Tracks inventory, records transactions and reconciles monthly, quarterly and annually.
• Provides training on finance procedures to subordinates, and organization.
• Documents procedures for desk manual to be used by Tlingit & Haida.
• May supervise Accounting Technician I, II including but limited to: hiring, monitoring, coaching, staff development, evaluations, dispute resolution, progressive discipline, and if necessary termination.
• Performs other work-related duties, as assigned.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: None
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Ability to work effectively with executives, managers, supervisors, employees, and employee representatives.
• Good supervisory skills including but not limited to hiring, coaching, conflict resolution, performance evaluations, and terminating employees
• Knowledge of OMB A-87, OMB A-102, and Federal Travel Regulations.
• Ability to maintain accurate, complete, and confidential records.
• Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, and automated accounting software.
• Ability to interpret, apply and explain laws, regulations and polices.
• Ability to identify discrepancies or inaccuracies in data and make corrections.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Working knowledge of techniques and methods in reconciling accounts.
• Ability to search for, select, and compile/summarize data and information.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• High School Diploma or GED
• Three years of accounting experience required.
• One year supervisory experience.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Associates Degree in Accounting.
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
Your application was submitted successfully.