Office Software Specialist
Job Class: Specialist
Department: Tlingit & Haida
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau, AK
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 8/9
Prepared by: B.McHenry/J.Wise
Hours of Work: M-F, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Employment Category: Regular, Full-Time
Effective Date: 12.1.2020
The Office Software Specialist will be primarily responsible for designing, implementing, maintaining, and supporting Office 365 features and functionality. The incumbent drives adoption of Microsoft Office 365 (O365) technologies & tracks industry trends and maintains knowledge of new technologies to better serve the Tlingit & Haida’s needs. Incumbent performs ongoing administration and account maintenance, deploys new service offerings, resolves issues quickly, and automates operations in O365 where possible.
Reports To: IT Manager
• Ensure proper deployment, management, support, and training of existing and new O365 service offerings
• Develop and facilitate training and documentation for new services or capabilities in Microsoft O365
• Serve as a knowledge expert on Microsoft O365 applications, advising on best practices of use and third-party integrations
• Understand business goals and drivers and translate those into appropriate technical solutions
• Administer the O365 Portal and monitor for alerts, status, etc. from Microsoft
• Respond to and resolve incidents and support requests involving the Microsoft O365 suite of products in a timely manner
• Provide technology leadership in the management of centralized directories (such as LDAP, AD, AAD) to ensure flexible but granular security levels when applied to organizational data, system processes, organizational employees, and consultants/vendors
• Develop, audit, and enforce Information Rights Management (IRM) and Data Leakage Prevention (DLP) policies to protect organizational data
• Ensure adherence to established data retention policies (DRP) while ensuring the availability of data for supporting e-Discovery requirements
• Recommend and assist in the implementation of security solutions to mitigate or stop potential impacts of Advanced Persistent Threats (APT), malware, SPAM/Phishing across various attack vectors
• Stay abreast of changes and new releases to the O365 suite, learning them, and implementing as appropriate
• Provide additional support for TribeVue, as needed
• Assume additional responsibilities as assigned
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Demonstrated knowledge of the Microsoft O365 platform including advanced configuration, diagnostics, and implementation
• Proactive and action-oriented individual with a strong orientation toward customer service
• Strong team and collaborative focus, interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical colleagues
• Ability to evaluate Microsoft O365 capabilities and make recommendations for leveraging new features
• Experience with data governance, Information Rights Management (IRM), and Data Leak Prevention (DLP) practices and methodologies (Retention policies, data governance reports and dashboards, Information holds, import data in the Security and Compliance Center, manage inactive mailboxes)
• Working knowledge of core Microsoft O365 technologies, including Exchange Online, Office suite (update rings, deployment, and usage), Office web apps, Teams, Office O365 Groups, SharePoint Online & OneDrive for Business
• Knowledge of SAML 2.0
• Experience with authentication methods (sign-on security, multi-factor authentication (MFA), device sign-on methods, manage authentication methods)
• Knowledge of the Microsoft Azure platform
• Knowledge of PowerShell scripting
• Knowledge of troubleshooting techniques for networks, their peripherals, and associated computers
• Knowledge of training techniques
• Able to explain networking goals and needs in an easily understood manner to managers through oral presentations and written reports
• Able to read, understand, and apply information in technical manuals and journals
• Able to communicate well, verbally and in writing, with users, co-workers, and management
• Able to work non-standard hours to support the system.
• Able to travel out of town occasionally to support field workers and to attend training
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Associates Degree with related studies
• Two years of hands on experience with Office 365, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Exchange, and Microsoft SQL
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college with a major in computer networking, computer science or a closely related field may substitute for one year of the required work experience OR
• Industry standard certification such as MCP or CCNA may substitute for one year of the required work experience
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position.
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees may be required to pass a pre-employment and subsequent random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check be conducted on all employees. All employment offers are conditional until federal criminal background check results verify your eligibility to work for Tlingit & Haida.
Your application was submitted successfully.