Accounting Technician II
Job Class: Technician
Class Status: Active
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau, AK
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 8
Hours of Work: 8:00 a.m. -4:30 p.m.
Employment Category: Regular Full-Time
Effective Date: 5.24.11
Accounting Technician II is the full-proficiency level in which incumbent examines, verifies, and maintains accounts and accounting data in ledger and subsidiary accounts. Performing the work requires in-depth or broad knowledge of a body of accounting, budget, or other financial management regulations, practices, procedures, and policies related to specific function. Provides financial analysis as requested by the direct Supervisor.
Reports To: Controller
Liaison To: N/A
• Reviews documents for financial coding, accuracy, and appropriate documentation.
• Determines if documents clearly meet defined requirements.
• Identifies source of discrepancy to determine what is required and obtain corrected data as required.
• Calculates payments based on approved documents.
• Processes accounting documents for payments.
• Records expenditures in correct month.
• Tracks and maintains documents through accounting cycle.
• Reviews the efficiency of accounting procedures and recommends changes related to specific function.
• Identifies the need for improved coordination, additional training, and clarification of procedures to reduce errors or process delays.
• Acts as source person for resolving or recommending resolution of routine payment issues. Provides formal and informal training on payment matters.
• Interprets and communicates policies and procedures.
• Generates reports
• Reconciles general ledger accounts and prepares adjusting journal entries.
• Prepares periodic and annual document s; and financial data and analysis
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: N/A
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Ability to work effectively with executives, managers, supervisors, employees, and employee representatives.
• Working knowledge of bookkeeping practices and accounting procedures, practices, methods, techniques, and terminology.
• Knowledge of OMB A-87, OM B A- 102, and Federal Travel Regulations.
• Ability to maintain accurate, complete, and confidential records.
• Working knowledge with word processing, spread sheets, and automated accounting software.
• Ability to interpret and apply and explain laws, regulations and policies.
• Ability to identify discrepancies or inaccuracies in data and make corrections.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to collect, analyze, and organize accounting data, interpret its significance, and prepare reports.
• Working knowledge of techniques and method s used in reconciling accounts and auditing.
• Excellent computer skills including MS office Suite programs, and Great Plains.
• Ability to train or lead staff.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• High School Diploma or GED
• Two years of entry technical level account ng experience required.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Associate Degree in Accounting.
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees must pass a pre-employment and subsequent random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment
• Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check be conducted on all employees. All employment offers are conditional until federal criminal background check results verify your eligibility to work for Tlingit & Haida.
Your application was submitted successfully.