Seasonal Snow Removal Laborer
Job Class: Laborer
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau, AK
Covered Position: No
Salary Grade(s): 5 – 7
Prepared by: J.Hawkins/J. Wise
Hours of Work: Varies, 20 hours per week
Employment Category: Part-Time Seasonal
Effective Date: 9/1/2020
This seasonal position is responsible for driving the truck with snowplow to ensure T&H grounds and other contract properties, are kept free of snow and ice, and parking areas are plowed and sanded as needed. The incumbent will be responsible for maintenance of transportation snow removal equipment. If base hours remain after the above-mentioned duties are complete the incumbent may assist the Transportation Department in other duties.
Reports To: Transportation Manager
Liaison To: N/A
• Drive the plow truck to remove snow and ice from all Juneau T&H facilities and additional other areas in accordance with formal contract agreements signed by the Transportation Manager
• Independently monitor the weather at all times (24 hours) during the winter months and report to work as needed to ensure all T&H parking lots are kept free from snow
• Operate the sand spreader as necessary in parking areas, alleys, sidewalks, etc.
• Identify and use appropriate equipment for each job including but not limited to a hand shovel, snow blower, ATV, truck with plow, and sander
• Service all snow removal equipment to ensure optimal performance
• May assist the Transportation Department with maintaining an adequate inventory of consumable supplies for all Transportation Department equipment, including but not limited to sand, rock salt, and other snow melt substances
• Must understand and practice pertinent OSHA regulations and procedures at all times
• Perform a broad range of unskilled and semi-skilled maintenance activities including but not limited to cleaning, maintaining and repairing drainage structures, placing and repairing signs, and vegetation control
• Regularly communicate with Transportation Manager or designee to determine task priorities
• Lift, carry, and stack heavy objects
• Perform other duties as assigned
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: N/A
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Basic safety knowledge regarding physical labor requirements
• Knowledge and ability to operate snowplow and sander
• Working knowledge of OSHA and safety requirements for use of available equipment
• Able to work a sporadic schedule including night and early morning hours and weekends
• Ability to operate a variety of hand and power tools
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
• Moderate mathematical and spatial relation skills
• Ability to lift 50 pounds in repetition
• Must be able to work outside in winter conditions for an extended periods
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• High School diploma or GED
• At least 21 years of age
• 1-year experience providing snowplowing and sanding services
• Valid Driver’s License with no driving infractions/violations in last 3 years
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Experience operating heavy equipment, specifically a loader
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The work is generally active, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting, kneeling, stooping, climbing, pushing, and pulling items weighing up to 50 pounds. The majority of work is labor intensive and will require the incumbent to work outside in less than ideal weather conditions.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position.
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees may be required to pass a pre-employment and subsequent random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check be conducted on all employees. All employment offers are conditional until federal criminal background check results verify your eligibility to work for Tlingit & Haida.
Your application was submitted successfully.