Job Class: Accountant
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau, Alaska
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 10
Hours of Work: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Employment Category: Regular Full-Time
Effective Date: 07/11/2011
Computes and processes semi-monthly payroll and benefits, completes quarterly and yearly payroll reports, reconciles payroll liability accounts, prepares payroll journals, and maintains employee records. Documents procedures for desk manual to be used by Tlingit & Haida. Responsible for filing documents related to job responsibility.
Reports To: Controller
Supervises: Accounting Technician
• Audits, codes, and enters data from personnel action forms and timesheets.
• Processes employee initiated actions regarding taxes, benefits, and deductions.
• Calculates payroll adjustments for leave, voids, retroactive pay, overpayments, and final pay.
• Computes and processes semi-monthly payroll in a timely manner to meet payday schedule.
• Processes and transmits payment of federal taxes and employee withholdings in compliance with federal and state guidelines.
• Maintains Juneau Racquet Club corporate membership account.
• Reconciles quarterly payroll data, processes state and federal wage and tax reports in compliance with federal and state guidelines, prepares and files other federal statistic reports, and assists with workers comp audit and reports.
• Reconciles yearly payroll data and processes W2’s to employees and W3’s to federal government in compliance with federal guidelines. Processes other reports as necessary.
• Reconciles payroll liability accounts in the general ledger each month.
• Prepares journals related to payroll.
• Provides training to staff on electronic timesheets.
• Provides training and assistance to staff on Green Employee leave/pay system.
• Performs filing duties of payroll functions: Timesheets, Personnel Action forms and employee withholdings, and reports
• When necessary resolves payroll and/or reporting issues with state and/or federal agencies.
• Document procedures and prepare desk manual to be used by CCHITA.
• Performs other work-related duties, as assigned.
• Reconciles benefits liability accounts in the general ledger and payroll sub ledger monthly.
• Reviews and approves payroll and benefits related documents prior to entry in the financial system.
• Ensures notifications to employees regarding accuracy of benefit plans.
• Responds verbally or in writing to benefit inquiries from employees and outsource partners.
• Understands and explains benefit plans in a one-on-one situation or in a group setting.
• Enrolls eligible employees to the medical and life insurance plans. Computes and processes monthly employee medical and life insurance premium payments; reconciles to payroll withholdings accounts.
• Prepares journals related to benefits.
• Ensures compliance with state and federal regulations.
• Maintains benefit files.
• Coordinates annual renewal process and open enrollment for all benefit plans
• Acts as fiduciary/trustee on retirement accounts
• Other duties as assigned.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Knowledge of payroll, accounting, and benefits procedures.
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to use an integrated accounting software system, Microsoft applications, and electronic transmitting applications.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities in a constantly changing environment.
• Possesses strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
• Possesses excellent communication skills – verbal, written, and presentation.
• Possesses accurate data entry and attention to detail skills.
• Ability to interpret, apply and explain laws, regulations and policies.
• Ability to identify discrepancies or inaccuracies in data and make corrections.
• Ability to be a team player.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Bachelors Degree in Business Administration or Accounting
• Two years of experience in payroll
• One year supervisory experience.
Additional experience may be substituted for formal education on a year for year full time equivalency basis
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees must pass an initial and random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check for the safety of our clients. All employment offers are conditional until Tlingit & Haida has received a Federal criminal background check verifying eligibility to work in these programs.
Your application was submitted successfully.