Job Class: Technician
Class Status: Active
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Edward K. Thomas Building
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 9
Hours of Work: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Employment Category: Regular Full-Time
Payroll Technician is the full proficiency level in which the incumbent examines, verifies and maintains payroll accounts and payroll data. Performing the work requires in-depth or broad knowledge of a body of accounting, budget, or other financial management regulations, practices, procedures, and policies related to a specific function. Provides financial analysis as requested by the direct Supervisor.
Reports To: Payroll Accountant
Liaison To: N/A
• Reviews documents for financial coding, accuracy and appropriate documentation.
• Determines if documents clearly meet defined requirements.
• Calculates payments based on approved documents.
• Records expenditures in correct month.
• Tracks and maintains documents through accounting cycle.
• Reviews the efficiency of accounting procedures and recommends changes related to specific functions.
• Identifies the need for improved coordination, additional training, and clarification of procedures to reduce errors or processing delays.
• Acts as source person for resolving or recommending resolution of routine payment issues. Provides formal and informal training on payment matters.
• Interprets and communicates policies and procedures
• Generates reports
• Reconciles general ledger accounts and prepares adjusting journal entries.
• Prepares periodic and annual documents; and financial data and analysis.
• Process personnel action forms in accounting system.
• Update employee information, benefits and deductions in accounting system.
• Respond to agency employment verification inquiries.
• Process payroll liability payments.
• Process payroll journals.
• Reconcile payroll general ledger accounts.
• Audit timesheets.
• Enter payroll transactions.
• Generate payroll reports for management.
• Provide backup to payroll accountant.
• Assist employees with payroll and benefits related inquires.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: N/A
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Ability to work effectively with executives, managers, supervisors, employees, and employee representatives.
• Working knowledge of bookkeeping practices and accounting procedures, practices methods, techniques, and terminology.
• Knowledge of OMB A-87, OMB A-102 and Federal Travel Regulations.
• Ability to maintain accurate, complete and confidential records.
• Working knowledge with word processing, spreadsheets, and automated accounting software.
• Ability to interpret and apply and explain laws, regulations and policies.
• Ability to identify discrepancies or inaccuracies in data and make corrections.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to collect, analyze and organize accounting data, interpret its’ significance, and prepare reports.
• Working knowledge of techniques and methods used in reconciling accounts and auditing.
• Excellent computer skills including MS office suite programs, and Great Plains.
• Ability to train or lead staff.
• Others duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• High School Diploma or GED
• Two years or entry technical level accounting experience required.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Associates Degree in Accounting
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees must pass an initial and random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check for the safety of our clients. All employment offers are conditional until Tlingit & Haida has received a Federal criminal background check verifying eligibility to work in these programs.
Your application was submitted successfully.