Early Childhood Educator Aide
Job Class: Aide
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau, AK
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 5
Prepared by: J. Shanley/J. Wise
Hours of Work: Varies
Employment Category: Regular, Full-Time
Effective Date: 9/1/2019
Assist the Early Childhood Educators and Administrator in all facets of Child Care Center activities. Incumbent will assist with carrying out lesson plans, incorporating component plans and assist large and small groups of children.
Reports To: Child Care Center Administrator
Liaison To: N/A
• Assist in managing small groups of children
• Evaluate activities regarding appropriateness, effectiveness and interest to the children
• Assist in preparation of materials, as needed, to carry out the weekly lesson plans
• Eat and interact with children at meal times, serving as an appropriate role model to the children, provide feeding tools necessary and supporting children in all areas of feeding
• Assist children with all toileting needs, e.g., changing diapers, toilet-training support and hand washing
• Assist with the observation of children for referrals and assessments
• Assist with entry of data into database
• Participate in staff development, trainings and education requirements
• Support all areas of the classroom, assisting to maintain a clean, safe, and cheerful environment
• Assist with janitorial duties involved with a child care center (e.g., cleaning toys, sanitizing bottles and diaper changing stations) and regularly communicates with staff to determine janitorial priorities
• Assist in keeping the building and playground area in safe condition and good repair at all times and will communicate safety concerns or maintenance issues with supervisor
• Perform other duties as assigned
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: N/A
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Familiar with applicable state and federal laws and requirements pertaining to child care
• Knowledge of program rules and requirements
• Knowledge of general office procedures
• Ability to work effectively with managers, supervisors, employees, employee representatives, and parents
• Maintain strict confidentiality
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
• Familiarity with Alaska Native cultures, particularly Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Two year experience working with young children in a group setting
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Current First Aid/CPR Certificate
• Child Development Associate Certificate
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position.
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees may be required to pass a pre-employment and subsequent random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check be conducted on all employees. All employment offers are conditional until federal criminal background check results verify your eligibility to work for Tlingit & Haida.
• If not a current 1st Aide/CPR certified, employee must obtain within 30 days of hire.
• If not current CDA (or higher EC credential), must obtain within two years of hire.