Job Class: Labor
Class Status: Active
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau, AK
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): G 1 - 3
Prepared by: W. Brown/J. Wise
Hours of Work: varies
Employment Category: Casual
Effective Date: 9.1.18
Prep Cook will assist in the preparation of meals and general cleaning of the kitchen area. Incumbent will provide support to Head Chef in the kitchen for food prep, cooking, baking, and may serve as needed.
Reports To: Social Enterprise Manager
Liaison To: N/A
• Shop for groceries, wash cookware, inventory supplies
• Wash and chop vegetables, make salads, gather ingredients, and put together entrees
• Ensure food is properly stored to Alaska’s food safety standard
• Assist with the organization of the kitchen and storage areas
• Ensure that equipment and food prep areas are properly cleaned, sanitized, and rinsed using a 3-sink process, adhering to health and safety standards
• As needed wash and ensure dishes are properly cleaned and ready for use in events.
• Assist cook in keeping adequate supply of ingredients to successfully continue operations
• Maintain and promote a positive professional working relationship with all staff
• Perform additional duties as required
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: N/A
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Able to work in a fast-paced environment and stay positive under pressure
• Ability to understand and comply with verbal directions
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Knowledge of health and safety standards
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Prior experience working in a commercial kitchen setting
• Current Food Handler’s card
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Food Protection Safety Certification
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional kitchen setting and is generally requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position.
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees may be required to pass a pre-employment and subsequent random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check be conducted on all employees. All employment offers are conditional until federal criminal background check results verify your eligibility to work for Tlingit & Haida.