Tribal Child Support Attorney
Job Class: Legal Professional
Class Status: Active
Department: Office of the President
Type of Position: Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau, AK
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 13-15
Prepared by: M. Soboleff Levy/J. Wise
Hours of Work: 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Employment Category: Regular Full-Time
Effective Date: 12.1.2018
The Incumbent will provide legal services and representation to the Tlingit & Haida Tribal Child Support (TCS) department.
Reports To: General Counsel
Liaison To: N/A
• Prepare legal documents, maintain court schedule, arrange service by publication, appear in court (Tribal and State), and assist caseworkers in preparing legal documents for all child support cases
• Maintain, update, and assist in drafting policy and procedures, standard letters, forms, and legal forms for TCS and incorporate the documents into the agency's internal database system
• Review cases, in consultation with the TCS Manager, to determine jurisdiction and compliance with Tribal and Federal law
• Review cases with TCS manager and file necessary motions with the court
• Draft revisions in the child support statutes (Title 10) as necessary
• Provide legal and technical assistance on specialized child support cases such as bankruptcy, probate matters, enlistment in the armed forces, inter-tribal enforcement and referrals to the Justice Department
• Assist with the preparation of the direct Federal funding application to Office of Child Support Enforcement and assist with the drafting and negotiation of the Child Support Service Agreement with the State
• Assist TCS Manager in compiling and maintaining data as necessary for reporting
• Conduct research on child support legal matters and interpret statutes, rules and regulations
• Provide legal training and technical assistance to child support staff as needed
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: N/A
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Excellent negotiation skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to interpret and apply the Tribal, Federal and State child support laws and requirements
• Advanced skills in researching, referencing, and analyzing data from a variety of sources
• Ability to perceive problems or challenges and identify multiple approaches and solutions
• Ability to assess the environment and make judgments appropriate to that environment
• Excellent computer skills including MS office programs and other databases
• Familiarity with Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian cultures
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Juris Doctorate degree
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• A member of the State Bar of Alaska in good standing to practice law in Alaska
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry to program sites may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position.
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees may be required to pass a pre-employment and subsequent random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check be conducted on all employees. All employment offers are conditional until federal criminal background check results verify your eligibility to work for Tlingit & Haida.