Administrative Clerk I
Job Class: Administrative Clerk
PD Number: 090100
Department: Tlingit & Haida
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: All areas
Covered Position: No
Salary Grade(s): 4
Hours of Work: Varies
Employment Category: Varies
Under close supervision, Administrative clerks I provide basic clerical support to a program through the performance of such tasks as routine typing, filing, sorting mail, copying, and serving as receptionist. This is the first and basic level in the Administrative Clerk series.
Reports To: Varies by Department
Liaison To: N/A
• Receptionist duties such as answering phones, greeting the public, transfer/refer public to Tlingit & Haida programs.
• Pick up, receive, open, date stamp, and deliver mail and/or other materials.
• Update files, and maintain a variety of records such as addresses, telephone numbers, vacation schedules, attendance and timesheets, numerical logs, ledgers, and client files.
• Photocopy documents, collate, assemble, and distribute materials.
• Type cards, envelopes, labels, folders, and simple memorandums according to specific instructions.
• Receive documents, forms, applications, etc, and review for completeness or correctness according to specific instructions; perform coding of documents.
• Perform data entry tasks for which there is a limited variation of formats and procedures and with specific instructions for coding and entering data; check and correct entry for input errors.
• Other related duties as assigned.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: N/A
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Working knowledge of correct English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Knowledge of basic filing and basic record keeping systems.
• Ability to recognize differences among data, facts, objects, or material.
• Ability to compare data from two or more sources for accuracy and completeness.
• Ability to alphabetize, code, rank numerically, sort, and batch.
• Ability to perform elementary arithmetic operations.
• Ability to operate office equipment such as copy machines, calculators, and fax machines.
• Ability to greet visitors, answer the phone and respond to routine inquiries.
• Ability to perform simple typing or data entry tasks.
• Knowledge of applicable state and federal laws and requirements.
• Familiarity with Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian cultures.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• High School Diploma or GED
• Minimum typing speed of 35 words per minute.
• Drivers License required for some positions.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Completion of verifiable MS Office Suite computer training.
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary, requiring routine walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing less than 40 lbs. Travel on small aircraft or ferry may be required.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees must pass an initial and random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check for the safety of our clients. All employment offers are conditional until Tlingit & Haida has received a Federal criminal background check verifying eligibility to work in these programs.