Retail Associate I (Barista)
Job Class: Retail Class Status: Active
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Juneau, AK
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 3
Hours of Work: Varies
Employment Category: Casual
Prepare and serve specialty coffee and other beverages. Serve food to patrons. Provides excellent customer service.
Reports To: Department Supervisor
Liaison To: N/A
• Prepare and serve hot or cold beverages, such as coffee, espresso drinks, blended coffees, and tea
• Clean and sanitize work area, utensils or equipment
• Clean service and seating areas
• Check temperature of freezers, refrigerators, and heating equipment to ensure proper functioning
• Describe menu items to customers and suggest products that might appeal to them
• Order, receive, or stock supplies and retail products
• Provide customer service with product details such as coffee blend and preparation descriptions
• Receive and process customer payments
• Serve prepared foods using appropriate sanitation methods
• Stock customer-service stations with paper products, condiments and other appropriate supplies
• Availability to work early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays
• Other duties as assigned
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: N/A
Other Authority: N/A
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Adherence to safe food handling procedures and sanitation practices.
• Training in food preparation, food service skills, and customer service procedures.
• Good customer service skills to manage multiple orders in a busy retail atmosphere
• Ability to provide efficient and friendly service
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• Register and cash handling experience
• Point of sales (POS) experience
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
Requires long hours of standing and moving. Must be able to carry trays of food, dishes, and glassware weighing up to 25 pounds. Exposure to high temperatures, steam and equipment with very hot surfaces. Exposure to injuries from slips, cuts, and burns.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE:
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will”. This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position.
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees may be required to pass a pre-employment and subsequent random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida requires a criminal background check be conducted on all employees. All employment offers are conditional until federal criminal background check results verify your eligibility to work for Tlingit & Haida.