Job Class: Lead Teacher
Class Status: Active
Department: Head Start
Type of Position: Non-Exempt
Location of Work: Varies
Covered Position: Yes
Salary Grade(s): 8
Prepared by: A. Frommherz
Hours of Work: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Employment Category: 39 weeks/year
This position oversees the daily operation of their respective Head Start Center—ensuring that the education and early childhood development services are conducted in accordance with the Head Start Performance Standards.
Reports to: Regional Facilitator
Liaison: Between CCTHITA Head Start Component Coordinators and Facility Landlord
Supervises: Assigned support staff daily and volunteers when present
• Responsible for the education and early childhood development services. Plan, organize, and implement developmentally appropriate practices within a preschool classroom environment that incorporates individual and collective student abilities while fostering them toward their potential.
o Develops and implements lesson plans that are consistent with program curriculum and guidelines while incorporating program component goals, i.e. 45-day & 90-day deadlines.
o Conducts ongoing assessment of each child and maintains assessment information noting child’s progress.
o Collaborate with local school district, public health, and other community agencies to improve services for Head Start children.
o Ensures that all staff model healthy nutritional habits and hygiene, i.e. hand washing and tooth-brushing.
• Conducts child-centered, parent/guardian partnerships. Responsible for completion of home visits and parent/teacher conferences to facilitate parent-driven child advocacy in the areas of goal setting, interagency referral processes, and local education plans.
o Assist parent group and the center’s parent policy representative with monthly trainings.
• Supervises, guides, and models appropriate behavior and teaching techniques for teaching staff, parents, and volunteers. Provide initial classroom-routine orientation for new staff.
o Set work schedule in collaboration with Regional Facilitator and secure a substitute in the event of staff members’ absence—utilizing parent volunteers then paid substitutes.
• Develop and implement internal reporting systems. Document and maintain center administrative records of Head Start services.
o Maintain electronic and hard copy child filing system.
o Prepare and modify documents including correspondence, reports, and classroom newsletters.
• Oversees the overall safety of enrolled students. Works in partnership with parents to development student behavior, transition, and/or safety plans when needed.
o Responsible for supervision of children, protects children from physical or verbal abuse, and immediately reports such incidents to appropriate authority.
• Maintain active participation in program training. Attends the annual pre-service, and develop and monitor individual staff training plans as needed.
o Observe and conduct annual staff evaluations according to program policies and procedures.
o Continue professional growth by participating in ongoing early childhood education opportunities such as online modules, workshops, and/or conferences as budget allows.
• Manage classroom operations. Ensures the center maintains adequate supplies and communicates the need for facility maintenance.
o Ensure the building, grounds, and equipment are kept in a clean and safe condition.
• Maintain confidentiality. Ensures personnel information, child and family records, related communication, and report(s) are kept secure and that staff practices confidentiality.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Spending Authority: Site specific.
Other Authority: None
NECESSARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Knowledge SE Alaska Native culture—specifically, Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian.
• Compliance—knowledge of applicable state and federal laws, to include but not limited to Head Start Performance Standards and NAEYC Code of Ethics.
• Team Work—ability to work effectively with executives, managers, supervisors, employees, and employee representatives. Ability to work as a team member and as a leader with direct report staff.
• Self-Supervision—ability to direct staff and make decisions with minimal oversight regarding project management, conflict resolution, and program administration.
• Computer Skills— familiarity with word processing, spreadsheets, and Teaching Strategies Gold child assessment program. Must be able to navigate electronic record keeping and reporting software.
• Communication— excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Record Keeping— ability to confidentially maintain accurate and complete child file records.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• A Bachelor’s or advance degree in Early Childhood Education (ECE), or a baccalaureate or advance degree and coursework equivalent to a major relating to ECE with one (1) year of classroom experience teaching preschool-age children.
• Have a valid AK driver’s license
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, skills)
• 1st Aide/CPR certified
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR RESTRICTIONS
The work is generally active; requiring walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items weighing up to 60 pounds. The majority of work is performed in a preschool setting with a wide variety of children and people with differing functions, personality, and abilities. This position is expected to drive their own personal vehicle to family visits for the purpose of meeting with families four times per school year. Head Start supports a smoke-free environment to eliminate exposure of children, staff and other adults to tobacco smoke.
CONDITIONS OF HIRE
• All employment at Tlingit & Haida is “at will.” This means that the employee or Tlingit & Haida may terminate employment at any time and for any reason. Unless specified in writing, no term of employment is expressed or implied for this position.
• Tlingit & Haida is a no tolerance workplace. All regular employees must pass an initial and random drug and alcohol screening to be eligible for and maintain employment.
• Tlingit & Haida has several positions which require a criminal background check for the safety of our clients. All employment offers are conditional until Tlingit & Haida has received a Federal criminal background check verifying eligibility to work in these programs.